Honey Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Remember the grilled cheese sandwiches from your youth? They were likely pretty simple… Individually packed cheese slices, some butter on bread, grill it up and voila! You have yourself a plain grilled cheese. Well think of this recipe as a grilled cheese sandwich that is all grown up and sophisticated! You even have options: Adding tart green apple, or caramelized onion.
Sweet and savory come together in perfect harmony with caramelized onion, and sweet and tart make a beautiful marriage with green apple by adding honey to both of these sandwiches. Using aged Fior di Latte (Mozzarella) and Swiss Gruyere will send you to cheesy heaven. Feel like a big kid with this amped up grilled cheese that is sure to please the whole family. It still takes little time to make this gourmet treat!
Prep Time: 5 mins | Cook time: 2 – 5 minutes | Total cook time: 7 – 10 mins
- 2 slices of thick whole grain bread
- 1 – 2 thick slices each (as desired) of Swiss Gruyere & Aged Fior di Latte
- 4 slices of green apple (we used a Granny Smith, tart is best) OR ½ yellow onion
- 1-2 tbsp butter
- 1-2 tbsp creamed unpasteurized honey (we used our Chinook Honey Creamed Alberta Multi-floral)
1. Butter each slice of bread on outside and spread creamed honey on both sides of each slice.
Because it’s sugar, honey added to the outside of the bread will burn faster. This is an important step to avoid burnt bread – toast bread lightly before adding butter/honey so it doesn’t have to be on the skillet.
2. (For onion grilled cheese) Put 1 tsp butter and 1 tsp honey in skillet over medium heat. Place onions in skillet until they turn a light brown (5 – 8 minutes).
3. Place two slices of bread (buttered/honey side down) in another non-stick and buttered skillet on low – medium heat. Add cheese and top with onions or slices of green apple. Add the last slice of bread on top (buttered/honey side up).
4. Cook both sides until you achieve a nice crisp golden brown (2-3 minutes). The honey will cause the bread to burn faster so be very careful, checking every minute.
5. Cut as desired and serve with the cheese still gooey and warm!
inspired by Minimalist Baker