Irish Honey Pot Roast
- ½ cup (120 ml) Honey
- ½ cup (120 ml) flour
- 1 tsp each salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp. (30 ml) oil
- 4-5 lb (1.8-2.2kg) beef pot roast
- 14 oz (400 ml) can beef broth
- 1 cup dark ale or apple cider
- ½ cup (120 ml) cold water
- 2 tsp (10 ml) dried thyme
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups (500 ml) carrots, chopped
- 2 cups (500 ml) potatoes, chopped
- 2 cups (500 ml) leeks, chopped
- 2 cups (500 ml) parsnips, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In medium bowl, combine flour, salt and pepper.
- Dredge roast in flour mixture, coating all sides. Reserve remaining flour mixture.
- In large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the roast and sear top, bottom and sides until well browned, about 4 to 5 minutes each.
- Add Honey, broth, cider or ale, garlic and thyme.
- Cover and roast in oven for 1 1/2 hours.
- Add vegetables, cover and cook 1 hour more, or until meat is fork tender.
- Remove meat and vegetables to a platter and keep warm.
- To prepare gravy, add cold water to reserved flour mixture.
- Whisk water-flour mixture into juices in Dutch oven pan, then place pan over medium-high heat and bring mixture to a boil.
- Continue to stir and cook until thickened.
- Spoon over meat and vegetables.
Please like & share: